Re: [Groff] Request "cf"

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Request "cf"
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:02:27 +1100

On 18/02/2008, at 5:33 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Yes, .cf copies the external file (A and B) verbatim, but to the
wrong place.

Well, it works as documented...

The documentation does not seem to say that (unlike .trf's) .cf's output goes only to the intermediate file, not any further. Is there any point in having it there?

I have no need for the intermediate file, I need the verbatim copy
in the final (ps) output.

Why not using

 \X'ps: file foo'

Yes, I do. Just that having things in a diversion would be far more convenient.
And it looked that .cf was what the doctor's ordered.

then?  It's not troff's job to prepare raw data for grops...

I am probably wrong in this, but I always think in terms of groff and don't think of the sub-duties and interaction of its components unless I really have to.
And via .trf, troff does prepare raw data for grops by cooking them.
I thought that .cf would do the same, without cooking.

Details can be found in the grops man page.

   Werner

Thank you for the example,

Miklos