Re: [Groff] colored background?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] colored background?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:56:10 +0100 (CET)

> Is there an recommended way to create a background in an alternate
> color for a certain block of text?

First, you have to draw a coloured rectangle, then you must type the
text.  To get the dimensions of the text block, store the text in a
diversion, get its height and width, then insert the diversion.

> So I'm wondering if I might be able to achieve a similar effect in
> the PS output from DocBook-generated man pages.

Well, in case the text blocks are marked as such, this is doable.  But
there is no standard way to do so in man pages.  However, the next
groff release will propagate the `.EX/.EE' block for examples in man
pages (this is in an-ext.tmac).  You could redefine them accordingly.

    Werner