Re: [Groff] nroff vs. troff conditional using escapes?

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: Re: [Groff] nroff vs. troff conditional using escapes?
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:43:57 +0900

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>, 2008-02-23 09:31 +0100:

> There are no inline conditionals in groff.  You would rather define a
> macro like this:
>
>   .de t-or-n
>   .  ie t \
>   .    nop \\$1
>   .  el \
>   .    nop \\$2
>   ..
>
> Then you can say
>
>   For more information, see the
>   .t-or-n Description DESCRIPTION
>   section.

Thanks -- I had been thinking about needing to have it inline as
an escape because the idea of dropping a request in the midst of a
block of text doesn't map to what I'm used to (XML and HTML
markup). Anyway, I can see how to get my stylesheet to generate
this just as easily as generating inline markup.

And I am learning some general things from your answers (in this
case, how to handle multiple arguments for a macro), so if your
patience holds out, I promise my questions will get less
rudimentary as I learn more.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith