Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff

From: Zvezdan Petkovic
Subject: Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:52:13 -0500

I don't really want to get into a major revision control system fight
here; as I said earlier it seems to be clearly Werner's decision. I
didn't want to leave undefended assertions lying around though!

I did not use bzr, but based on information I've seen, these are not "undefended assertions". See, for example,

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0374/#tests-impressions

Those numbers look bad to me, and the only indication to the contrary is that version 1.9 "should" bring the numbers down. A "should" is probably not good enough next to two competitors that already have numbers to show.

The Mozilla project had similar benchmarking experience.
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/preed/2007/04/version_control_system_shootou_1.html

There are several very large projects that use Mercurial.
Linux kernel is the most prominent user of git.
I believe that bzr has its success stories as well.

However, when someone needs to decide which DVCS to switch to (from cvs or svn), bzr really does not stand out for me.

Canonical actively pushes it on open-source developers with the marketing campaigns at conferences, or this import of groff tree :-).
It certainly is in Canonical's interest to do that.
I'm not convinced it's in my interest, though.

Then again, I might be completely wrong and uninformed.  ;-)

        Zvezdan