Re: [Groff] Re: Mysteries of .em request

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Mysteries of .em request
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:20:18 +0200 (CEST)

> I've long been baffled by the .em macro, not knowing how to get it
> to emit more than one final page, disastrous for split tables,
> floats, indexes and so on.  I have long resorted to an explicit user
> end document macro, using .em only to ensure it is given.

My documentation is still not fine (actually, I have yet to debug why
`.pl +1v' `.ne 2' behaves differently to `.ne 1'), but my summary of
the whole issue is that I'll probably implement an `.em1' request
which doesn't have this silly restriction -- or can someone name any
reason for this bizarre behaviour of `.em'?

> Your exposition is very instructive, but who would have guessed
> this...

Well, it's mentioned in the original troff documentation.  I thought
I've read it very carefully, but this has completely missed my
attention.

    Werner