Re: [Groff] Re: grops and grohtml problems on vista (walter harms)

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: grops and grohtml problems on vista (walter harms)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:43:26 +0100

Hi,

If this was Linux, we'd just strace(1) the pipeline and see what the
kernel was being asked to do for starters.  I don't know if something
like
http://www.intellectualheaven.com/default.asp?BH=projects&H=strace.htm
would be any use on Vista.  It may show precisely where the temporary
file is successfully opened and what's happening around the fdopen().

BTW, I noticed src/libs/libgroff/tmpfile.cpp:xtmpfile() never returns a NULL
FILE pointer, it exits if there's a problem, so callers don't need to check.
That means the run of calls to it in src/preproc/html/pre-html.cpp don't need
their following if-statements, e.g. it can be

    fclose(xtmpfile(&psPageName, PS_TEMPLATE_LONG, PS_TEMPLATE_SHORT,
        TRUE));

for each of the temporary files it wants the names of.

Cheers,

Ralph.