[Groff] Unicode's Many Spaces.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: [Groff] Unicode's Many Spaces.
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 13:50:10 +0100

Hi,

Clarke and I had a brief off-list conversation about having a larger
space after the end of sentences, etc., in HTML.  IIRC, he suggested a
no-break space, ` ', followed by a normal space.  The problem with
this is that if it should fall at the end of an output line that has a
straight right margin, the nbsp causes the text to be indented, e.g.

    The end  of the
    world is nigh.
    The end  of the
    world is nigh.

at least in this old Firefox.

I then realised that Unicode has added several spaces of different
widths, and many of them are breakable ones.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_%28punctuation%29#Table_of_spaces

Does this mean that something like an en space could be used to cause a
larger space and yet it wouldn't upset the right margin, at least in a
compliant browser?

Cheers,
Ralph.