Re: [Groff] Refer and mysterious comma

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Refer and mysterious comma
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 00:29:31 +0100

>> I guess you need to add "[S" to the stuff to be removed in "]-".
>
> May I again ask for further explanation, please? I can't find
> a closing bracket in the macro.

Type "refer _myfilename_ | less" to see how refer processes
the references in your text.  The refer manpage explains this
(section "Macro interface" near the end):

  Each reference starts with a call to the macro "]-".  [...]
  There  then  follows  a  series  of string  definitions,
  one for each field: string "[X" corresponds to field "X"
  [the stuff after the "%X" in the references file].  [...]
  The reference is followed by a call to the "][" macro
  [which is responsible for typesetting the reference].

It's the "]-" macro which prepares for a new reference by
removing all the reference-related strings (which may have
been set by the previous reference), but in e.tmac "[S" is
missing from the list of string names in the definition of
the macro "]-" (this is obviously a bug).