Re: [Groff] EQN documentation

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] EQN documentation
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:04:53 -0000 (GMT)

On 18-Jan-11 21:27:52, Doug McIlroy wrote:
>>  I have been contemplating for a long time putting together
>>  a connected account
>
> Cheers! I really miss having concise yet complete online
> documentation for much Gnu software (pace Texinfo). One shouldn't
> have to scrounge around obscure history websites to find out
> how to use it.  (I flip back and forth between my dog-eared
> 10th-edition Unix manual and man pages for Gnu extensions,
> and wonder how folks who don't own antique references survive.)
>
> Eric Raymond's Pic reference is a good demonstration that
> all need not be downhill from Kernighan. Pity the Gnu Pic
> man page doesn't even mention this good document that comes
> with the Groff distribution.
>
> Ted and Cedric deserve all the encouragement they can get.
>
> Doug
> (editor of 7th-10th edition manuals)

Thanks for the encouragement, Doug! It helped to push me over
the hill of actually getting started. It is in a very early
stage as yet, and so far is 3 pages into a basic introduction
(intended for beginners with eqn, though it will assume that
readers know their way around troff).

I would welcome comments and suggestions as I proceed, so I
shall be putting the current draft up on my web-page as it
progresses. The latest version is at

  http://www.zen89632.zen.co.uk/Groff/Eqn/eqnguide.pdf

and it will be updated from time to time. Comments (off-list
if you prefer) welcome!

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>