Re: [Groff] Setting page and paper size

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Setting page and paper size
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:57:24 +0100 (CET)

> I think I don't really understand the difference between "papersize"
> and "physical paper dimensions".

The logical paper dimensions within groff are set with .ll and .pl.
However, this doesn't take into account how large the `real' paper is
$(Q#|(B you can say

  .ll 200c
  .pl 300in

and groff is still happy.  The real, physical paper size is only
relevant for the drivers.

> PS: I take it there is no easy way to "manually" set the papersize
> to X inch x Y inch? I've tried figuring out how papersize.tmac works
> but it's a little complicated for me to recognize where the "crucial
> command" takes place in the tmac.

Well, `papersize.tmac' just translates `a4' or `a5l' into proper calls
to `.ll' and `.pl', nothing else.  Of course, you can ignore this
macro file completely, saying directly

  .pl 21c
  .ll 29.7c
  .device papersize=21cm,29.7cm