Re: [Groff] tbl footnotes and graph position

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] tbl footnotes and graph position
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:07:32 +0100 (CET)

> After a week trying out groff, I have three questions about the
> above tables.  I hope someone can steer me in the right direction.
>
> http://www.schemamania.org/tbl/eg/t.pdf
> http://www.schemamania.org/tbl/eg/t.ms

Uh, oh, this isn't a smallest possible example which demonstrates the
problem!  Before asking for help, you always should try to reduce your
example as much as possible.  In most cases users find the cause by
themselves.

> 1.  Why is the last column in both tables so wide?  tbl columns can
> set a minimum width, but I don't see how to encourage tbl to make
> one particular column narrower.

If you reduce the first table to

  .TS
  box, tab(@);
  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
  l | n n | n n n n n | r.
  address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@1
  .TE

It's not a big step to find out that

  .TS
  box, tab(@);
  _   _ _   _ _ _ _ _   _
  l | n n | n n n n n | r.
  address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@1
  .TE

gives the expected result: Your last column contains superfluous `_'
characters which increases its width.

In the end, it's a documentation bug of tbl, so thanks for reporting:
`_' is a replacement for table fields only, not for column separator
lines.

It'll take some more time to analyze your other two problems, and
maybe others are quicker than me.  Could you please prepare a minimum
working example?  See here, for example:

  http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html

    Werner