Re: [Groff] OpenBSD fix

From: Volker Wolfram
Subject: Re: [Groff] OpenBSD fix
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:31:03 +0100

Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Volker,
>
> Volker Wolfram wrote on Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 05:42:54PM +0100:
>
> > kern.version=OpenBSD 5.0 (GENERIC.MP) #59: Wed Aug 17 10:19:44 MDT 2011
> >     address@hidden:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP
>
> > Information for inst:groff-1.21p4
>
>  ... and you are complaining that .ad is not working, right?
>
> Ouch.  Yes, i fear that *is* my fault.
> Werner Lemberg told me right away this would happen,
> but i failed to fix it in time for the 5.0 release.
> It is fixed by now in -current, i committed the fix on Dec. 4, 2011.
>
> Sorry to the other posters who spent time trying to reproduce.
>
> Volker, in this particular case, i think the easiest way for
> you is to upgrade your groff package to groff-1.21p6,
> compiling the port yourself.
>
> Here is how to do that:
>
>  1) Locate the file ports.tar.gz on your 5.0 release CD set
>     or on your nearest OpenBSD mirror.
>     Unpack it to /usr/ports, as a normal user, not root,
>     preferably being a member of the "wsrc" group.
>     See http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#PortsFetch for details.
>     See http://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html for a list of mirrors.
>
>  2) Set up CVSROOT to point to the nearest OpenBSD mirror,
>     see http://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html#CVSROOT for a list.
>     Change directory to /usr/ports/textproc/groff.
>     Update just that single directory to -current:
>       $ cvs up -dPA
>     NOTE: In general, -current ports will NOT work on
>     OpenBSD-release.  In this particular case, it will.
>
>  3) Check that you really have the -current code now:
>      - Makefile must contain "REVISION = 6"
>      - patches/patch-tmac_troffrc must contain a comment
>        saying "Disable adjustment by default"
>
>  4) Building ports is simpler when you set up sudo(8).
>     That involves setting up sudoers(5) using visudo(8)
>     and creating a file /etc/mk.conf containing the line
>       SUDO=/usr/bin/sudo
>     See mk.conf(5) for more information.
>     This is not strictly required, but if you don't do it,
>     you have to pay attention which build steps require
>     root privileges (e.g. fake, install) and which don't.
>
>  5) Build and install the package by just saying:
>       $ make install
>     (or without sudo, first running "make" as a normal user,
>      then "make install" as root should work).
>
> At this point, "pkg_info groff" should talk about groff-1.21p6.
> Regarding adjustment,
> read the file /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/groff-1.21p6
> and follow the instructions provided there.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience,
>   Ingo

Hi Ingo,

here are my results of your gracefull help:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = "de_DE.utf-8",
        LC_CTYPE = "de_DE.utf-8",
        LANG = "de_DE.utf-8"
Information for inst:groff-1.21p6

Comment:
GNU troff typesetter

GNU troff (Groff) is the GNU reimplementation of the traditional
general-purpose UNIX typesetting system, roff.

The groff distribution includes:
 * various macro packages including man, mdoc, ms, me, mm, and mom;
 * postprocessors for various output devices, including character
   terminals, X terminals, PostScript, HTML and XHTML, and TeX DVI;
 * and many utility programs.

Maintainer: Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden>

WWW: http://www.gnu.org/software/groff/

And here is my edited configuration file for groff:

.\" Startup file for troff.
.
.\" This is tested by pic.
.nr 0p 0
.
.\" Load composite mappings.
.do mso composite.tmac
.
.\" Use .do here, so that it works with -C.
.\" The groff command defines the .X string if the -X option was given.
.ie r.X .do ds troffrc!ps Xps.tmac
.el .do ds troffrc!ps ps.tmac
.do ds troffrc!dvi dvi.tmac
.do ds troffrc!X75 X.tmac
.do ds troffrc!X75-12 X.tmac
.do ds troffrc!X100 X.tmac
.do ds troffrc!X100-12 X.tmac
.do ds troffrc!ascii tty.tmac
.do ds troffrc!latin1 tty.tmac
.do ds troffrc!utf8 tty.tmac
.do ds troffrc!cp1047 tty.tmac
.do ds troffrc!lj4 lj4.tmac
.do ds troffrc!lbp lbp.tmac
.do ds troffrc!html html.tmac
.do if d troffrc!\*[.T] \
.       do mso \*[troffrc!\*[.T]]
.do rm troffrc!ps troffrc!Xps troffrc!dvi troffrc!X75 troffrc!X75-12 \
troffrc!X100 troffrc!X100-12 troffrc!lj4 troff!lbp troffrc!html
.
.\" Test whether we work under EBCDIC and map the no-breakable space
.\" character accordingly.
.do ie '\[char97]'a' \
.       do tr \[char160]\~
.el \
.       do tr \[char65]\~
.
.\" Set the hyphenation language to `us'.
.do hla den
.
.\" Disable hyphenation:
.\" Do not load hyphenation patterns and exceptions.
.do hpf hyphen.den
.do hpfa hyphenex.det
.
.\" Disable adjustment by default,
.\" such that manuals look similar with groff and mandoc(1).
.\" Handle paper formats.
.do mso papersize.tmac
.
.\" Handle PS images.
.do mso pspic.tmac
.
.\" Don't let blank lines creep in here.

But my result is a rugged right margin again.

This can I see on my printer and on previewer gv.

Do you have any comments?

Regards,

echo "HUE\a"
--