Re: [Groff] how not to number the cover page? and not to show page numbe

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] how not to number the cover page? and not to show page number on the front page?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:42:32 +0400

Keith Marshall:

> > That is solved by (thanks to Anton Shepelev <an-
> > address@hidden>)
> >
> >      address@hidden -1
> >
> But that isn't really a  good  solution!   It  re-
> quires  getting your hands dirty with the internal
> (private) details of the macro implementation.
>
> This is similar to attempting to access  the  pri-
> vate  members  of a C++ class from a scope outside
> the class methods, (except that C++ will not allow
> you  to  subvert  this  protection,  whereas groff
> will).  You should not  need  to  do  this;  there
> surely  must be a public interface to support what
> you are  trying  to  achieve,  without  subverting
> package internals?

I  agree, but I didn't find a public mechanism to do
that.  This macro is used to restard page  numbering
when doing it on per-section basis, to have separate
numbers for the TOC (i, ii,...), and so on.

Any changes to the interface part  of  mm  are  very
difficult  because great care must be taken in order
to keep it backwards compatible, which means all the
changes  will  inevitably  make  it  more complicat-
ed -- new optional parameters to existing macros and
new macros.