Re: [Groff] removing RUNOFF man page

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Re: [Groff] removing RUNOFF man page
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 23:23:36 +0000

On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 06:06:25PM +0100, Bernd Warken wrote:
> > Von: "Colin Watson" <address@hidden>

> > > GPL2 is logical, GPL3 is bullshit from `above'.  Debian succesfully fought
> > > against GPL3 for years.  Everything using GPL3 and FDL became non-free and
> > > was hidden in normal Debian publications.
> >
> > No, this statement about Debian's behaviour is simply untrue and always
> > has been.
>
> That's a lie: http://archive09.linux.com/feature/51576?theme=print

Sorry, but this is kind of trolling for no good reason.  I don't
really think this list is the place for it—it's certainly not why I
read it…  Maybe you could perhaps consider toning down the aggression
and bad language?

In the above, this is just referring to the facts that several Debian
developers participated in the GPLv3 development process.  They raised
/potential/ concerns and criticism as part of the process.  None of
this has anything to do with the final /released/ GPLv3 licence which
came out of the process as its end result.  One key sentence here is
"None of these comments, including Robinson's, are Debian's official
view of the revised GPL. That must wait for the release of the final
draft."

GPLv3 has been allowed in Debian since shortly after its publication,
and I'm one of many Debian people writing GPLv3-licensed free software
which is distributed by Debian as well as other distributions without
problems.  There has never been a problem with it.  GFDL with
invariant sections and/or cover texts is a separate matter, and wholly
unrelated to GPLv3.

Regards,
Roger

--