Re: [Groff] The future redux

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] The future redux
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 11:29:08 +0000

Hi Federico,

> While we are (slightly) digressing, may I ask the broader group, what
> are the best current tutorials for Groff?
>
> Most of the material I know of is... rather dated. Not necessarily
> bad, but not very recent either - and not very concise, either.  What
> do you point to get new users started? What’s the current favorite
> resource?

I still like Ossanna/Kernighan's CSTR #54, _Nroff/Troff User's Manual_,
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/54.ps.gz or http://troff.org/54.pdf.
It's clear and concise but covers a lot of ground;  typical of
Kernighan's writing IMO.

Then there's Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly's _Unix Text Processing_.
http://home.windstream.net/kollar/utp/  Given they were using troff to
produce their books, and continued to use groff for a long time to do
the production even when they moved to XML mark-up, they knew the
subject.

Cheers, Ralph.