Re: [Groff] Formatting algorithm, an experiment

From: Ulrich Lauther
Subject: Re: [Groff] Formatting algorithm, an experiment
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:46:19 +0200

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 08:06:38PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Hello Ulrich,

[ ... ]
> (But again, i personally never had a problem with the typesetting
> quality of troff (with the TeX-borrowed German hyphenation
> enabled), proof-reading provided -- the German translation of
> K & R "Programming in C" 2nd Edition has been typeset like that
> (by the translators Prof. Dr. Schreiner and Dr. Janich) which
> actually convinced me -- recalling its quality -- to try to go
> troff (after loosing our setup).

Actually, I don't have a problem with groffs typesetting either.
As I pointed out in my comments to Peter, the fine points of
typesetting are beyond me, but obviously more sophisticated users do
see a need for improvement.
But my contribution was triggered by the discussion on the groff mission
statement and on pro and cons of the Knuth/Plass algorithm and its
alleged complexity.
So I was motivated to share my experience in implementing mathematical
optimization solutions.

Cheers,

        ulrich