Re: [Groff] PDFPIC macro

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] PDFPIC macro
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 13:47:32 +0200

Keith Marshall <address@hidden> wrote:
 |On 17/09/14 21:47, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> In general it is a pity that it is impossible to generate a complete
 |> document with TOC, index etc. in "safe" mode.  But this is way
 |> off-topic.
 |
 |It may be off-topic, but FWIW, it is perfectly feasible to do all of the
 |above entirely in safe mode, by adapting the technique employed by
 |pdfroff to capture PDF outline and reference data.

True.  The question would be how to implement this on the macro
level -- a new command to create safe and managed temporary files
isn't enough, just like pdfroff demonstrates multiple passes are
necessary to get the TOC and index entries at the right place and
with the right content (page numbers).

Some fantasizing.  For this to work troff would also have to
implement a three-pass mechanism, a number register has to state
which pass we're in, a command to "regain" the paths of safely managed
temporary files in further runs is necessary.
E.g., create a "toc" file in the first run, include it in the
second run while at the same time creating a new toc temporary
file with update page numbers etc., finally include that new "toc"
file in the third run.  Likewise for indices.
To not run into ressource limits it must be possible to request
deletion of a managed temporary file.

At first glance this doesn't look as if it is an impossible thing
to do, but today maybe only Werner has the necessary knowledge to
comment on that.

--steffen