Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 08:31:00 +0100

Hi Bertrand,

> 'make distcheck' will attempt to make a tarball, untar it, build it
> (in out-of-source tree style), clean it, check it, install it and
> uninstall it.
>
> You can use DESTDIR to make the install/uninstall in an ordinary
> directory, e.g.:
>   mkdir ~/tmp
>   make distcheck DESTDIR=~/tmp/

I'm very surprised that the `install' run as part of `distcheck' wants
to install in the default central location and not a temporary
directory.  No one would seriously want the install run in that manner
to do that?  It's not how I recall distcheck working.  Is this the
default behaviour?  Can it be changed to be a temporary directory, just
as the tarball is untarred somewhere temporary?

Cheers, Ralph.