Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 21:58:28 -0600

Twenty years ago, I used troff to create camera-ready artwork for a double-sided printed circuit card for a product I was designing the control electronics and
bar-graph display for.  The product was awarded "Top 20 new automotive
service tools of the year" in Motor Magazine for 1997. (Alas, the owner of the
company stiffed me $30,000 for my work, and another company $70,000.)
It was also featured on the PBS TV show "Motorweek".

I wrote the macros for the layout, using primarily troff drawing requests.

I've used troff and groff to produce finished books (historical fiction and
non-fiction), and HP's 3000-page, 3-volume HP-UX Reference (Unix manpages)
and everything from business cards to trophy plaques.

Sometimes it's more work than one can justify financially, but like most
Unix stuff, there's a lot of power there if you have the tenacity and ingenuity
to figure out how to do what you need done.

But that sample page with all of the artwork is beyond my expertise for now.

Clarke