Re: [Groff] Nesting font macros in man pages

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] Nesting font macros in man pages
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:46:34 +0200

Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden> wrote:
 |Steffen Nurpmeso wrote on Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 08:19:21PM +0200:
 |> the HTML output of mandoc used repeated per-paragraph style
 |> directives and a CSS file, which caused enormous bloat, last
 |> time i tried.
 |
 |Does that still apply to
 |
 |  view-source:http://man.openbsd.org/ksh
 |
 |I spent a few weeks in 2017 improving mandoc HTML output,
 |both with respect to functionality (better markup) and with
 |respect to HTML code quality.

It seems to have improved.  I would not be the first who is
astonished about the title attributes, but i still see quite some
style="margin-left: 6.60ex;" and also style="margin-top: 0.00em;".
It surely will be iterated over as time goes by.  I.e., having
a special class "Bl-item-compact" which inherits that
style="margin-top: 0.00em;" to all of its items.

 |In case there are still aspects that can be improved (in particular,
 |simplified) without loss of semantic markup quality and without
 |loss of presentational quality, specific hints are very welcome.

As above.  That is all for today, i spent three hopeless hours in
the pic lex code, even shallow cloned 67 MB of gnulib for a few KB
of datatable that doesn't get used the right way, and felt more
and more scatological.

 |P.S.
 |Only bacause i'm replying anyway and it's just five lines:

Sure.

 |>   .Op : Ns Fl c Ar cc-addr Ns \&:
 |>   .Fl S Ar var Ns Op Ns = Ns Ar value Ns
 |
 |That's full of cargo cult, things are actually much simpler
 |even for describing such unusually complicated syntax:
 |
 |.Oo : Ns Fl c Ar cc-addr : Oc
 |.Eo [: Fl c Ar cc-addr Ec :]

  .Op : Ns Fl c Ar cc-addr Ns \&:
  .Eo [: Fl c Ar cc-addr Ns :] Ec
  .Oo : Ns Fl c Ar cc-addr : Oc

I would like the last one best, if the Ns could go from the front.
.Eo, hmm this is in SYNOPSIS.  But yes, .Oo is better.  Also

  .Op Fl M Ar type | Fl m Ar file | Fl q Ar file | Fl t

will i think become

  .Oo Fl M Ar type | Fl m Ar file | Fl q Ar file | Fl t Oc

because that is better.  ^.^

 |.Fl S Ar var Ns Op = Ns Ar value
 |.Fl S Ar var Ns Op Pf = Ar value

That indeed is

  .Oo : Ns
  .Fl S Ar var Ns Op Ns = Ns Ar value Ns
  .Pf \&: Oc

Do you have any idea (and yes, i use .Pf, why not also before the
=, i don;t know) how to place this on one line?
Will do, ciao.

--steffen