Re: [groff] mom manpage

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: [groff] mom manpage
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 09:24:04 -0500

> ... scrapping the alphabetic listing of macros and strings entirely.  All it
> does is partially duplicate the mom Quick Reference Guide (macrolist.html)
>       :

IMHO   One complete, up-to-date, easily-acquired reference is preferable to
        duplicates.

        The exception is when the duplicated information is from a single
        source so all duplicates always contain the same information.

Long ago I was part of a team that built both the documentation and the
code from a single source file so both always spoke a single truth.

The one improvement on _that_ idea was another development group which
managed to close the loop.  There were two documents (alphabetical and
by-concept written in nroff with comments) plus two forms of code (PL/I
and IMS database declaration, with comments) that were interlocked by
UNIX shell scripts.

If you needed to make a change or addition, you could do it in _any_
one of the 4 forms and then generate the other 3.  They were laughed at
for being obsessive but never had that form of consistency bug in the
long-lived project.

((Bless you Leon Levy, where ever you are.))

--
 Mike Bianchi