Re: unit tests best practice

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: unit tests best practice
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 14:28:31 +0100

Il giorno gio 3 gen 2019 alle ore 19:45 Mike Gran <address@hidden> ha
scritto:

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 05:53:33PM +0100, Catonano wrote:
> > Wat's the best practice to instrument a Guile based project for running
> > unit tests ?
> >
> > guile-git has this fragment in the Makefile.am file
> >
> > SCM_LOG_DRIVER =                                \
> >   $(top_builddir)/pre-inst-env                  \
> >   $(GUILE) --no-auto-compile -e main            \
> >       $(top_srcdir)/build-aux/test-driver.scm
> >
> > as you can see, what Automake produces calls a "main" procedure in a
> > "test-driver.scm" script in the "build-aux" folder
> >
> > The effect is that you can call
> >
> > make check
> >
> > in the root folder and have the tests run
> >
> > Instead, in the Makefile.am file produced by guile-hall wired projects
> you
> > ave this fragment
> >
> > AM_TESTS_ENVIRONMENT = abs_top_srcdir=\"$(abs_top_srcdir)\"
> > SCM_LOG_COMPILER = $(top_builddir)/test-env $(GUILE)
> > AM_SCM_LOG_FLAGS = --no-auto-compile -L \"$(top_srcdir)\"
> >
> > so there's a SCM_LOG_COMPILER instead of a SCM_LOG_DRIVER
> >
> > What is this LOG_COMPILER doing, exactly ?
>
> OK, this is a muddle, but, it goes like this.

Mike,

thank you for taking the time to clarify

I think the less painful step at this stage would be to make guile-hall
arrange the tests in the same way that guile-git does

Right now it's the other way around but I don't think Alex would complain,
he openly declares his cluelessness in the matter

In this way, guile-hall could provide a working solution for new projects
without too much work in wrapping SRFFIs in order to provide compliance
with Automake

The wrapping could me made in a further step

I opened an issue on the guile-hall repository and I'll propose my solution
there

Alex are you reading us ?
What do you think about this ?