guix-devel

Re: GDM future work

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: GDM future work
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 10:10:36 -0500

Hi Ludo,

> [...]
>
> Option #2 looks reasonable to me (for the reasons you wrote, “static
> binding” and all.)

Thanks for confirming my intuition.

> [...]
>
>> Besides this, there are few straight-forward things to do.  We need to
>> make a “libgdm” package that does not depend on “gnome-shell” [1].  It
>> would be nice to fill out the config record and get rid of the opaque
>> configuration text file.  We need documentation for GDM in the manual.
>> Finally, I already miss the Guix logo from SLiM, so even if it is not
>> the default, I would like a Guix theme to be available.  :)
>>
>> I will chip away at these as I have time, but of course anyone is
>> welcome to jump on them if I’m too slow.
>
> Cool, I’d be happy to test it, let us know when you’d like to get test
> feedback!

It should be okay for testing as it is.  It will not work unless
“gnome-desktop-service” is included in your services.  It does work with
other window managers, but the session switching UI doesn’t seem to
work.  With a bit of fiddling, I got it to start EXWM, but I suspect
it’s only because “exdm” comes before “gnome” when sorted.  (For the
record, I had to remove the “TryExec” key from its desktop entry file.)

Before testing, be sure you can roll-back your system from the
bootloader just in case.  ;)

> Thanks for working on it!

You’re welcome!

-- Tim