guix-devel

GRUB fallback mechanism [was Re: Brain storming cool Guix features]

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: GRUB fallback mechanism [was Re: Brain storming cool Guix features]
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 17:32:12 -0500

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 05:48:39PM +0100, L p R n d n wrote:
> - Currently, I think the only way for a GuixSD installation to break is
>   if something goes wrong with the bootloader. Might be nice to have a
>   tool (in the install image I suppose) to recover the bootloader.
>   Maybe 'guix system init' can deal with that king of cases for now, I
>   don't know, but a dedicated command might be able to use the original
>   store, restore previous generations etc.

Apparently GRUB has a feature that records a "fallback" system to boot
if booting fails.

Maybe when reconfiguring, Guix could set the current system as the
fallback so that it would always boot.

If we did that, we'd want to warn the user somehow... not sure how to
achieve that.

Discussion of this feature at NixOS:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/26332