guix-devel

Re: Docker and singularity containers

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Docker and singularity containers
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 13:31:39 +0100

Dear Ricardo,

> I don’t know.  We could have one with R + all CRAN and bioconductor
> packages that we currently offer.

Ok, it seems a good start.

> >  - how?
>
> That’s easier: with “guix pack”.  We would create a Cuirass job to build
> a pack regularly.  We’d need to add support for hooks to publish the
> generated pack on DockerHub, though we could just as well host them
> ourselves.

Aside the DockerHub issue, ok.

And let fix the DockerHub ethical issue later. :-)
I mean let start by build Docker images with Cuirass, then we will see
how/where to publish them.

Just to fix the idea, the simple Docker image containing
Emacs+Guile+Geiser (the scheme SDK ;-) is about 300MB with '.tar.gz'
and 1GB with only '.tar'

> Would you like to give this a try?  A good first step is to list the
> steps that need to be performed.  A first implementation might even be
> done with a cron job.  I could add this to berlin.guixsd.org when you’re
> ready.

I am giving a try.

Thank you.

All the best,