guix-devel

Re: Idea: guix printer configuration generation

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Idea: guix printer configuration generation
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 16:00:30 +0100

Hello,

<address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jan. 16., Sze, 15:35):

> Hi
>
> I would rather not have to learn the CUPS web interface just to
> configure my printer. Do we have a way to do this yet from config.scm? I
> think we should abstract away everything CUPS.
>
> Maybe we could make a guix printer importer?
>
> The idea is to extract information about the printer via Guile and print
> what the user need to add to the config.scm.
>
> Something like this:
> $ guix printer
>
> "Found 1 USB printer: HP DeskJet 4330
> (cups-configuration
>  (printer
>    (name "HP DeskJet 4330"
>    (connection "usb://34234556"
>    (settings
>      (paper "a4"
>      (source "default"
>      ..."
>
> When the user adds this to their config.scm and reconfigures the printer
> JUST WORKS.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Swedebugia

I've found the CUPS config stuff somewhat problematic.
The config file is generated from another config file, and some other
things, that trigger
regenerating the config. Sometimes even the printer ink level is
regenerating cups configs,
which is really annoying. Modifying files in /etc is not a very nice
way to handle that indeed.
The problem is known upstream, and seems to be won't fix. If we could
get around that in any sane way,
I would be very happy.

Best regards,
g_bor