guix-devel

Re: Should openssh be an input of Git?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Should openssh be an input of Git?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 14:22:45 -0500

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 11:36:40AM +0100, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> I've noticed that `git clone <ssh-repository-link>` fails if openssh is
> not in the user profile.
> Should we add openssh as an input to Git?

I guess that programs like Git and rsync (another SSH user that doesn't
depend on it explicitly) can use several different SSH implementations,
right? Like Dropbear, lsh, and others.

If so, I think it makes sense to let the user install an SSH themselves,
especially since these programs are useful without SSH.

The bonus is that it reduces the number of packages that depend on
OpenSSH, ensuring that we can change that package cheaply and quickly.
Git is a farily expensive build.