guix-devel

‘nss-certs’ missing in the installation image

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: ‘nss-certs’ missing in the installation image
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 14:20:52 +0100

Hi,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> Wait, what about this:
>
>> - I was surprised to see that from the install image, curl, git, etc. would
>> fail
>>   with an SSL error.  It's annoying because I really needed to get my
>> config.scm
>>   from an online source.
>>
>>   I only briefly investigated: the environment has

>> SSL_CERT_DIR=/etc/ssl/certs
>> SSL_CERT_FILE=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
>>
>>   but the install image only has a /etc/ssl file.
>
> Is this broken or intentional?  Can you point me at where this is defined?

‘nss-certs’ is intentionally not in %base-packages nor in the
installation image.  The rationale is that the package contains X.509
certificates bundled together by Mozilla and when we discussed it there
was a rough consensus that it should be the user’s decision to trust
these.  One could object that IceCat comes with its own copy of these
certificates anyway…

Someone following the normal installation procedure shouldn’t need those
certificates though.  WDYT?

Ludo’.