guix-devel

Re: Updating mono. Adding MSBuild.

From: Brett Gilio
Subject: Re: Updating mono. Adding MSBuild.
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 14:19:23 -0500

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Brett Gilio <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Although, there is a possible issue here that needs to be
>> addressed. Both Mono and Chicken produce a binary called `csi`. This is
>> a naming conflict, and I do not know the Guix-way for resolving naming
>> conflicts.
>
> This is not a problem as during the build you probably won’t use Chicken
> together with Mono.
>
>> Most distributions renamed the Chicken csi to `chicken-csi`
>> and left mono to `csi`. Does Guix have namespaces for binaries we
>> produce? How should I proceed here?
>
> The Guix way is to install these things into separate profiles.

Hi all.

First, thank you ricardo for your response.

I have a few things that seem to be important to note. On the plus side,
I got Mono-5.0 to build successfully. But, during this process of
building mono-5.0 I discovered that the mono documentation is either
incorrect or misleading. Their documentation states that you need to
have a mono-lite binary seed or a previous version of mono to compile
newer versions. This doesn't seem to be true. Regardless of whether I
pass our older version of mono to build mono-5.0, it compiles a csc (C#
compiler) from its own source tree that it uses to build the full mono
stack. So, I am inclined to think that bootstrapping mono from an
earlier version isn't necessary since that csc compiler is C code.

Okay, great Mono-5.0 builds successfully. So with that knowledge, I
tried to compile the latest Mono-5.18. However, shortly after the
configuration step it throws

CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Unix
Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a
different build tool.
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
See also
"/tmp/guix-build-mono-5.18.1.0.drv-0/mono-5.18.1.0/mono/btls/build-shared/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

The interesting thing is that it uses the gnu-build-system to build the
csc compiler, and I had to pass cmake as a native-input or else the
configuration step would fail. So, does anybody know how to deal with
this cmake issue?

Thanks,

Brett Gilio