guix-devel

Re: Packaging CDEmu and VHBA kernel module

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Packaging CDEmu and VHBA kernel module
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 19:23:08 +0200

Hi Pierre,

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 19:13:33 +0200
Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Could we configure a service that automatically inserts the kernel
> module and sets up the right udev rule?  Danny?

Probably, but that's not the official way to do those things in modern Linux.

Linux is supposed to automatically load modules it needs (if it needs them
and they are indeed built as a module) on first access of the device file.

So we'd have to extend the generator of /run/booted-system/kernel/lib/modules
in guix to take a list of packages and union those, put the result in the
directory mentioned here and run depmod on it.

I have no idea where that generator is in guix.

In order to set up udev, just add an udev service-extension in your service
(see gnu/services/sane.scm for an example).