guix-devel

Re: "guix system -u" and "guix system --list-packages"

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: "guix system -u" and "guix system --list-packages"
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 22:35:14 +0200

Hello!

"Raghav Gururajan" <address@hidden> skribis:

> Idea of adding following features to Guix.
>
> 1) Dedicated "guix system -u" separated from "guix system reconfigure". So
> the difference between "guix system reconfigure" and "guix system -u" would
> be; the former does changes to system configuration (including
> adding/upgrading system packages) whereas the latter just upgrades system
> packages without making changes to system configuration.

This command:

  guix package -p /run/current-system/profile -u

almost does that, but eventually fails because /run/current-system is
read-only.  Hmm…

Now, in principle, upgrading the system profile without upgrading system
services is not a good idea, because it could lead to inconsistencies.

For instance, the GNOME service consists of a set of Shepherd services
and D-Bus services, but it also populates the system profile.  All these
things need to be in sync.

> 2) "guix system --list-packages" lists all system packages in current system
> generation. Could also add additional parameter (like "guix system
> --list-packages #sys-gen") to list system packages in a different available
> system generation.

What about:

  guix package -p /run/current-system/profile -I

?

Thanks,
Ludo’.