guix-devel

Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 19:11:17 +0200

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 05:17:31PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> OK, so that’s suboptimal, but do you still consider it usable
> nonetheless?

Yes, the installer is usable.  Its just when using Manual partitioning
that the message

You can change a disk's partition table by \
selecting it and pressing ENTER. You can also edit a partition by selecting it \
and pressing ENTER, or remove it by pressing DELETE. To create a new \
partition, select a free space area and press ENTER.

is clipped to

ENTER. You can also edit a partition by selecting it \
and pressing ENTER, or remove it by pressing DELETE. To create a new \
partition, select a free space area and press ENTER.

It is not very important.  But:

> (I’m trying to see if we can simply use the modprobe.blacklist patch or
> if we need to work on a more elaborate solution.)

The important remaining issue is that Xorg does not start on this
computer.  Neither the radeon nor fbdev and not even vesa works, for
whatever reason.  fbdev apparently is not supported.  VESA might be a
fixable bug (it displays “(EE) VESA(0): Cannot read int vect” like
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-xorg-driver-vesa/+bug/1432899>).
On other AMD GPUs the results may be more successful.  I have not
tried other free distributions on this PC yet.

I believe issues with (some?) AMD GPUs should be mentioned in the
manual.  Also, on the downloads page perhaps it should be mentioned
that there may be issues with some hardware, referring users to the
Hardware Considerations in the Guix manual.

Regards,
Florian