guix-devel

Re: Latest news on core-updates

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Latest news on core-updates
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 09:58:57 +0200

Hello Maxim,

Am Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 02:41:31PM +0200 schrieb Andreas Enge:
> I am not sure what "frozen" means exactly; I would say we must not make
> commits to core-updates unless they repair a broken package, or maybe help
> repair broken packages further down towards the leaves.

your recent docbook commits probably do not fit this definition, much less
so than the suggested valgrind update that we nevertheless postponed until
after the merge. They cause an extraordinary number of rebuilds. I hope they
are mostly harmless and do not cause additional build failures, so keeping
them in is probably easier than reverting them.

But let us from now on stick with commits that make important packages work,
or packages very close to the leaves.

I suggest the following timetable:
- Hard freeze now, only important broken packages or packages close to the
  leaves may be changed.
- Over the weekend, update your systems and profiles and test and repair
  problems that appear.
- If no show-stopper occurs, merge core-updates into master on Tuesday.

Andreas