guix-devel

Re: shepherd respawn frequency

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: shepherd respawn frequency
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 22:01:26 +0200

Hi!

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> skribis:

> would the shepherd maintaners (looking at you Ludo :) accept a change that
> introduces a new field into <service> called RESPAWN-DELAY, and issue a fiber
> sleep in RESPAWN-SERVICE when it is not #false, and the daemon process quits
> unexpectedly?

We could do that.  It never occurred to me that this is something one
would want to have though.  My reasoning is that if you mark a service
as respawnable, then you really want it to be respawned as soon as it
fails, not 5 seconds later.

Do you have a motivating example in mind (a daemon) to share?

Thanks,
Ludo’.