guix-devel

Re: A Forum for Guix Users

From: Msavoritias
Subject: Re: A Forum for Guix Users
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 14:31:57 +0300

Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:

> Robby Zambito <contact@robbyzambito.me> writes:
>
>> Hi Sarthak,
>>
>>> As of now, it's a bit difficult for beginners to find answers to their
>>> problems in the mailing list or in IRC logs as they aren't very
>>> easy to navigate compared to forum threads.
>>
>> I personally think that it would be wiser to improve the documentation
>> relating to the mailing lists and IRC logs, rather than fragmenting the
>> places that someone should look for answers. Maybe a new / additional
>> frontend that is more approachable for new users would also be good.
>
> Sourcehut has full-time employees working on making these accessible, so
> it really boggles my mind why we aren't using that instead of Savannah
> and Debbugs.
> We could also bridge IRC to Matrix (even though the company behind it
> has some people who... let's say like the taste of leather too much).
> Pine64 has a great chat setup actually, their channels are bridged to a
> whole bunch of services.  Not saying we must also bridge with Discord,
> but at least the libre options should be considered.

Hey,

Very much agreed with Sourcehut as a much better frontend for guix.
Plus its AGPL3 licensed all of it afaik.

Regarding the forum I dont think any forum would have much traction.
I agree that either matrix or xmpp could be considered instead for that
purpose.
As a more approachable chat mechanism compared to IRC.

MSavoritias