guix-devel

Re: Reusing code for a build-phase?

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: Reusing code for a build-phase?
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 02:15:12 +0200

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Am 06.08.23 um 14:49 schrieb Csepp:
>> Maybe you could create a build system that inherits from the one these
>> packages use, but adds the extra phase.
>
> I was thinking about this, too. But this seems to be too much, as
> there are not hundreds of Vagrant plugins. Also a build-system
> requires documentation, wich is another pile of work.

There already are special purpose build systems, like the Minetest one.
I think you can just define it locally in the module and document it
with a comment, you don't necessarily have to make a module for it.
Alternatively you could write a function that modifies a package to add
the necessary phase.

I'm glad you brough this up, because I should test these ideas on my
MirageOS branch.  FWIW I think I'll go with the build system solution.