guix-devel

Automatic importer for GitHub projects

From: jgart
Subject: Automatic importer for GitHub projects
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 13:59:48 +0000

Hi Guixers,

I'm sharing a guix-forge project ticket that I think could help increase Guix
and guix-forge adoption.

What is guix-forge you may ask? Here's a nice TLDR from the project page:

> guix-forge is a Guix service that lets you run a complete software forge in
> the manner of GitHub, GitLab, etc.

And here's a TLDR of the ticket description:

We want to implement an importer that migrates the user's GitHub account to
guix-forge.

Ticket description:

> We want to implement an importer to automagically import projects from GitHub
> (or from GitLab, SourceHut, etc.) into guix-forge. The user gives their
> GitHub/GitLab/SourceHut account URL (API token if required) and the importer
> will generate a guix-forge config with all of the user's repositories ready
> to be consumed by cgit or klaus, issue tracker is migrated to
> public-inbox/tissue, continuous integration is converted to something laminar
> can run, etc.

Ticket on guix-forge's issue tracker:

https://guix-forge.systemreboot.net/issues/automatic-importer-for-github-projects

Here's the main page for the guix-forge project:

https://guix-forge.systemreboot.net/

If anyone is interested in contributing then reach out to Arun Isaac.

ps

Here are some live guix-forge instances running their git and ci web apps,
respectively:

GeneNetwork

https://git.genenetwork.org/
https://ci.genenetwork.org/