guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 18:37:49 -0400 (EDT)

Katherine,

Thanks for starting this thread!

I'd like to offer my perspective on mistake making (of course it's OK, but definitely less fun to repeatedly make the same mistakes over again rather than new, interesting ones):

My personal experience is the initial steps to submitting a contribution don't bother me too much, but when I do make the inevitable mistake (why is it so much easier to proofread incoming mail than outgoing‽) making a correction seems very much more onerous than other systems.

Unfortunately, I don't have any great ideas for solutions, but I am hopeful because when we do have a solution, Guix makes it easy to convey it to the people who'll use it.

Best,
Jack