guix-devel

Commenting bug reports via mumi web interface (was: How can we decrease

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Commenting bug reports via mumi web interface (was: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:26:58 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

> Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> writes:
>
>> AFAIU mumi does not (still?) have ad authentication/authorization,
>> right?
>>
>> If so how do you plan to deal with users posting SPAM or similar
>> unappropriate content?
>
> It only sends email on behalf of commenters, so we’re using the same
> email mechanism to deal with spam.

Please forgive me if I'm not reading the source code for the relevant
mumi function, it would be easier for me to see it in action to
understand how the comment feature works.

I mean: I guess commenters are anonymous (?) and the mumi server will
send the email via authenticated SMTP (I hope) as user "mumi server" (or
something similar) on behalf of the commenter, right?

If so, the email is sent with the SPF and DKIM headers of the mumi
server configured mail server and that information is not useful to
eventually catch commenter email spoofing.

If I'm not missing something, then, anyone could send a comment as
"g@xelera.eu" containing unappropriate content, right?

I know that the GNU mailing lists mail server surely have an antispam
service, but it cannot use DMARC (SPF and/or DKIM) to filter email
spoofing attempts and all it can do is to assign a "spamminess" score to
messages, that seldom is able to effectively spot "unappropriate"
content, right?

Given all this, does this mean that anyone could send an offensive
comment as "g@xelera.eu" using the mumi commentig form?

...or are all the mailing lists moderated?

I feel I really miss something important in this picture, sorry for not
understanding what!

As an /antipattern/ example of a bug reporting system using a web
interface also for comments, I point out the one used by git-annex
(ikiwiki): https://git-annex.branchable.com/bugs/

When you try to "Add a comment", e.g. in:
https://git-annex.branchable.com/bugs/fsck_does_not_detect_corruption_on_yt_vids/

You are presented an authentication form supporting 3 auth methods:
registered user, email [1] and OpenID.

I still think that they sould just allow me to send an email to report
and comment bugs.

Thanks! Gio'

[1] The server sends you an unique URL you can use to log in and expires
in one day... why not just send me (forward) the complete message I want
to comment with the right Reply-to field pre-compiled, so I can edit my
comment with my lovely MUA instead of that /awful/ web interface?!?

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures