guix-devel

Re: The e(macs)lephant in the room and the Guix Bang

From: MSavoritias
Subject: Re: The e(macs)lephant in the room and the Guix Bang
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:09:41 +0300

On 9/23/23 13:00, Janneke Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
paul writes:

Dear Paul,

On 9/23/23 09:37, Janneke Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
Nathan Dehnel writes:

I don't use emacs either (because it's so impenetrable)
Emacs might be somewhat different from what you know, but this is utter
bollocks.
Thank you for your opinion but it's just that: a subjective judgement
based on your own episodic experience.
I'm sorry if my tone was too harsh, I now realise this is still
triggering old pain.

Why is it still OK to for people to keep spreading negative anecdotes
about Emacs, and problematic to refute them or counter them with
positive anecdotes?

It's been me believing exactly such lies that scared me away from
starting with Emacs for years, lost years in a way; something I deeply
regret: this has to stop.

Greetings,
Janneke

Depends what Emacs you mean.

The vanilla Emacs experience is traditionally horrible until you start tweaking it.

And it for years the maintainers of Emacs refuse to do anything to fix it. So I would say complaints are pretty valid

when its the same people that push Emacs as the "blessed" way to contribute (as in the guix manual) and then people see Emacs vanilla and cant use it.

The problematic is not that you say positive stuff about Emacs. I have a lot of positive stuff to say too :)

The problem part is the way you dismissed the persons experience as "bollocks". The knowledge that the Emacs community is pretty conservative in changing anything for decades in the default config also doesn't help.

MSavoritias