guix-devel

Re: The e(macs)lephant in the room and the Guix Bang

From: Munyoki Kilyungi
Subject: Re: The e(macs)lephant in the room and the Guix Bang
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 14:23:41 +0300

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> aliandika:

[...]

>> Thank you for your opinion but it's just that: a subjective judgement
>> based on your own episodic experience.
>
> I'm sorry if my tone was too harsh, I now realise this is still
> triggering old pain.
>
> Why is it still OK to for people to keep spreading negative anecdotes
> about Emacs, and problematic to refute them or counter them with
> positive anecdotes?
>
> It's been me believing exactly such lies that scared me away from
> starting with Emacs for years, lost years in a way; something I deeply
> regret: this has to stop.

This I agree with.  I got into Emacs about a
decade ago.  And what helped me I guess, was that
no one in my environment used Emacs nor knew too
much about it.  And the internet wasn't as fast as
it is now.  So in a sense, I got into the
ecosystem "by faith", and it stuck.  However, this
is not the case today.  I'm running a SICP reading
book club community locally, and the feedback I'm
getting from people who are trying it out, is that
it's "very difficult to learn", and most of these
sentiments are from the internet.

--
(Life is like a pencil that will surely run out,
    but will leave the beautiful writing of life.)