guix-devel

Re: Guix Survey (follow up on "How can we decrease the cognitive overhea

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Guix Survey (follow up on "How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?")
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 12:29:54 -0600

On 10/2/23 5:24 AM, Wilko Meyer wrote:

- Where solicitations to complete the survey are broadcast is very
   important. E.g. if we only send it to guix-dev, this skews the

Definitely, I'm not entirely sure on how to solve this; publishing
surveys on as many channels that seem fitting could maybe mitigate this?
Then again the selection of communication channels is highly subjective
as well.

I don't think we have to be very selective about where to broadcast the survey. I think the answer is: anywhere Guix people hang out or anyone feels it might be useful to do so.

I think the only danger here is missing some popular hangout spots due to ignorance of their existence. We should enumerate them to ensure we catch them all.

- When soliciting responses to the survey, it's very important to set
   expectations about the survey in the solicitation. It is important
   to briefly describe what the survey is like and how long the survey
   will take. Without this, some people will have uncertainty about
   what they're committing to and not even try.

- The survey should endeavor to remain on the shorter end; many will
   not complete longer surveys.

This is another good reason to start with a narrow focus on questions
regarding contributions instead of a general survey.

- Does the survey need translation to eliminate language barriers?

Most FLOSS surveys I've looked at were english only; which comes with a
certain language bias. Realistically I'd say that, given a survey may
contain free form questions, translation also seems to be a resource
issue when it comes to analyzing the results.

Does the GNU project have a "general translation" team?

Maybe some of our Guix community members who speak multiple languages would be willing to translate the survey into their primary language?

- The survey should use a uniform measurement system throughout. Don't
   use scales with different magnitudes in different questions, and
   don't suddenly invert whether higher is better or worse.

Good point, this also means that questions should be asked in a way,
that they can be answered using the same metrics/scale?

I think that's the idea and should be the rule for which there are exceptions.

- As you've already mentioned, free-form questions are very difficult
   to quantify, and I think we should use them with caution.
   Communities rooted in philosophical values, as Guix is, have
   impassioned people and resolving a large number of free-form

My approach to free form questions is to, on one hand try to quantify
trends (things that are mentioned often, key topics that are mentioned),
on the other try to derrive actionable items/issues from them that can
be worked on. Quantifiying qualitative responses is cumbersome, and as
you've also pointed out, quite difficult; but identifying trends/key
topics and maybe actionable items/issues from those could work. WDYT?

My opinion is that we should not do free form questions for this first time. We're new at this, we have enough topics to cover, and the topics we are covering seem to cause a lot of discussion (that's good) which could lead to a lot of text to read through.

- Up front, it may be difficult to identify all the root-causes of
   something the project wants to know about. Instead of trying to
   infer these, ask the questions directly. E.g. instead of questions
   about liking crunchy vegetables, orange vegetables, and root
   vegetables, ask whether they like carrots.

   However, if you think you have some idea of the root-causes, you can
   ask those as well to see if the correlation you think exists does.

If we've a first draft of a prospective, narrowed-down on contributions,
survey, the questions should probably be benchmarked against these
criteria. I revisted my loose collection of survey questions I posted
earlier on here and realized that I probably have to rephrase a vast
majority of those, to be consistent with this.

- You may want to ensure the survey has "marker questions" which
   clearly categorize your responder for you to make it easier to make
   the statements you'd like to make. E.g. if you're interested in
   analyzing what vegetarians vs omnivores think of carrots, ask that
   so you don't have to try and infer it later.

I'll revisit the original thread on how to decrease cognitive overhead
for contributors to see what good markers could be. With a grain of
salt, I think we should figure out ways to identify participants that:

- were contributors to guix before but stopped contributing
Maybe:

     (1) Have you made contributions to Guix in the past?

This is our marker question.

combined with:

     (2) How many contributions to Guix per month would you estimate
     you've made in the past year? (identify ranges we're interested in)

This is a dimension that would be useful to have for analyzing other responses. We can infer that

- want to contribute but experienced blockers that stopped them from
   participating

     (3) On a scale of 1-5, how much do you agree with the statement, "I
     would like to contribute to Guix."

combined with

     (4) On a scale of 1-5, how much do you agree with the statement, "I
     think it is easy to contribute to Guix."

We can then infer that people with higher scores to (3), lower scores to (4), and low contribution ranges from (2) are experiencing blockers that stop them from participating.

as well as a way to map out e.g. the frequency of contributions?

(covered above)

And finally, I'd like to suggest:

I think since this is the result of a discussion about how to lower
the cognitive overhead of contributing, the goal of this initial
survey should be:

1. To quantify how easy it is to contribute to Guix.
2. To quantify how easy it is to maintain Guix.
3. To correlate (1) and (2) with people's opinion of using email for
contributions.
4. To correlate (1) and (2) with people's opinion of using a forge for
contributions.
5. To correlate (1) and (2) with people's opinion on only improving tooling.
6. To be able to do trend-analysis year-over-year on these issues.

I would suggest adding these questions to a survey exploring the
contribution process:

     On a scale of 1-5, 1 being "Strongly Disagree" and 5 being
     "Strongly Agree", how much do you agree with the statements:

     "I think it is easy to contribute to Guix."

     "I think contributions to Guix will be reviewed in a timely
     manner."

     "I think email is the best way to manage introducing code to
     Guix."

     "I think a web-forge is the best way to manage introducing code to
     Guix."

     "I think working on tools made specifically for Guix is the best
     way to improve the contribution process."

These questions are excellent to address large parts of the issues being
discussed in the original thread on this list.

I am very interested in the usage patterns of Guix, and I firmly
believe some survey should explore this.
I'm not sure if we should combine the two; does it make it too long of
a survey?

I'd say, that it could be beneficial to ask for usage as long as it
helps to map out the background of guixes users. I wouldn't go too much
into detail, but this subset of questions on general usage I shared
before (and maybe a question on familiarity with Guile/Scheme) would
still provide value:

- Why do you use Guix? (freeform)
- Where/on what platform do you use Guix? (Guix System, on top of other
   distributions etc.)
- How many years have you been using Guix?
- In what context do you use Guix? (academic, work, private etc.)
- What do you use Guix for? (packaging, systemconf, reproducible
   research and so on)

This might be too broad a question since Guix is an operating system.

- Have you ever considered to stop using Guix, if so why? (freeform)
- Which features keep you using Guix? (should be a list with optional
   freeform)

This might also be too broad a question since people's motivations are likely to be varied.

- To extend guix packages/work on new packages, you...
   ...upstream to guix proper
   ...maintain a fork of guix proper
   ...maintain your own guix channel
   ...provide a guix.scm for the respective projects

to assess the questionees background better/be able to give more
context. WDYT?

As discussed above, my opinion is that we should drop the free-form questions. Other than that and my comments, I'd be OK with including these style of questions in this survey.

But these are my opinions. I'm open to discussion!

Is this rough list of questions our first pass at what the survey should contain?

Have you done any more research on what other communities are doing?

What are next steps?