guix-devel

Re: Proposal: Differentiate products more clearly (Cycle 01)

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Proposal: Differentiate products more clearly (Cycle 01)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 21:23:37 +0000

Hi Felix,

El 12/10/23 a las 1:54, Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. escribió:
Hi Felipe,

On Thu, Oct 12 2023, Luis Felipe wrote:

people call both products by the same name (Guix)
I totally agree with you. The confusion is unfortunate. I would call the
package manager "Guix," which does the greatest justice to history [1]
and pick a new name for the operating system.

While the -ix and -ux endings have long traditions in the operating
system space, the Guix name is already trademarked by someone else for
that kind of software. [2]

Hmm, I've heard about this trademark issue before... I'm not sure, but I think the subject was planned/proposed for discussion during the ten years of GNU Guix event, but I haven't seen any information about it.

Hoping for a change as you are, I tried to purchase stampede.org from
the original inventor of Stampede Linux [3] a year or so ago in order to
offer it to the project, but that went nowhere from either side.

Meanwhile, I have some other names I would be happy to purchase and
donate to the project, but I cannot disclose them to the public before
doing so.

The impetus for change is low. Please don't give up!
I intentionally omitted any suggestion of name changing in this proposal to lower the chance of resistance :) But maybe this is a good time to consider if renaming the operating system is the thing to do.