guix-devel

Re: Patch Review Flow

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Patch Review Flow
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 12:24:41 -0500

Hi jgart,

"jgart" <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> Hi Guixers,
>
> Does anyone follow this workflow for reviewing patches?
>
> git clone https://git.guix-patches.cbaines.net/guix-patches/
> git checkout issue-xxxxx
> git format-patch ...
> # then in the development checkout of Guix:
> git am ...; make; ./pre-inst-env guix build
>
> Should we document it in the manual?

There are many flows... perhaps we should illustrate them via examples
in the Guix Cookbook manual?

> Does anyone follow a workflow that is more efficient than the above?

You can use the 'b4' tool to apply a series via a message's Message-ID
that is from that series.  Or you can use Emacs-Debbugs patch buffer
(which is powered by Gnus), ensure your current directory for the main
buffer is set to your Guix checkout (e.g. 'M-x cd RET ~/src/guix'), then
apply the patches pressing the '|' to pipe it to 'git am -3' command
with it.

--
Thanks,
Maxim