guix-devel

Re: Mixing GPL and non-copyleft code in source files

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: Mixing GPL and non-copyleft code in source files
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:19:05 +0100

> I would offer a chronological list of my downloadable contributions to
> Guix and place the following wording on top of the page:
>
> "I disagree with the licensing model embraced by GNU Guix and hereby
> release my contributions there under the CC-0 license. For convenience,
> you can also use the patches below."

Does this wording sound a bit too harsh on Guix or is it just my
impression?  Free software hackers do have my respect, even if their
licensing ethics is slightly different than mine.

> The hurdle is that as a Guix maintainer, I would not accept your
> dual-licensing statements into my project.

It's more or less the same hurdle as with the HR people.  When someone is
an idealist — or just "weird" — they often won't give even a *chance* to
*try* to prove being useful or good at sth.

Us, free software folks, are notoriously marginalized and pushed into
depression in these and other situation — many of you surely
experienced it.  And it's extra hurtful when even offers of *unpaid*
help get rejected (whoever offered to install a libre operating system
on a friend's device, knows this).

Now, should such marginalization be repeated even within the freesw
circles?  If it is harmful to block ppl from participating in the
society using libre software (as universities, tax offices, etc. are
doing) — and one disapproves it — then one will make efforts to avoid
similar harmful exclusions in one's own micro-society, right?

Sadly, in the end those more idealistic risk more marginalization and
therefore greater depression — all while probably caring the most…

Since we're having this discussion just before holiday, let me finish
with wishes of Merry Christmas.  To everyone on this mailing list,
regardless of how this discussion ends for us.  I'll take this time
as an opportunity for pray for all the Guixers to be saints o:)

Best
Wojtek

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A
follow me on Fediverse: https://friendica.me/profile/koszko/profile

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)