guix-devel

Re: Question on python-pydantic update, rust and maturin build tool

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Question on python-pydantic update, rust and maturin build tool
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 13:56:45 +0200

On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 12:27:38AM +0000, Sharlatan Hellseher wrote:
> Hi Guix!
>

> It might be addressed to rust/python teams.
> https://github.com/pydantic/pydantic-core
>
> During update of some packages from (gnu packages astronomy) I've faced
> with requirement for the fresh version of pydantic which depends on
> pydantic-core built with rust and maturin.
>
> This thread is just conversation opener for the potential strategy to deal
> with similar cases where python projects start using rust with rare but new
> build tool.

We have maturin packaged at 1.1.0 and I believe it is even used to build
a couple of packages.  python-rpds-py, which just landed in the repo
today, is probably the best short example of how to use a combination of
cargo and any other build system to build a project that doesn't really
need any phases overridden, just added/replaced.

Is there a specific version of pydantic that you need? I might be able
to put together something either using the crates in the master branch
or a newer version on the rust-team branch.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא