guix-devel

Re: Introducing Guix "Features"! (Was: Syntactic Diabetes)

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: Introducing Guix "Features"! (Was: Syntactic Diabetes)
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 20:11:15 +0000

> Am Donnerstag, dem 01.02.2024 um 20:30 +0000 schrieb Attila Lendvai:
>
> > for an average unix user a service is a process that is running in
> > the backgroud, doing stuff mostly without any user interaction. you
> > can try to argue this away, but i'm afraid that this is the state of
> > things.
>
> Which is exactly what etc-service-type does. It symlinks stuff to /etc
> without user interaction.

we can spend our life honing in on a satisfying definition, but let it be
enough that what is commonly understood as a service has an active component
(see 'run' in my definition); i.e. it has a temporal dimension.

but honestly? it felt silly to even provide a definition in my mail. we either
live in a different universe, or you're just focused on justify the status quo.
whichever is the case, we have reached a dead end, because essentially, this is
aesthetics.

but anyway, i gave my feedback, and as i don't have the authority to lobby for
renaming core guix abstractions, i'm out.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39