guix-devel

Re: Proposal to turn off AOT in clojure-build-system

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: Proposal to turn off AOT in clojure-build-system
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 11:39:03 +0800

Steve George <steve@futurile.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Guix's clojure-build-system turns on AOT compilation by default. I would like
> to advocate that 'as a distributor' we should *not* ship Clojure code AOT'd,
> so we should change the default.
>
> This has been discussed previously. In #56604 r0man noted that AOT
> compilation should not be on by default [0], Reilly makes the same point in
> #53765 [1].

Hello, we have both source and binary packages for Common Lisp (eg:
cl-ppcre and sbcl-ppcre), the source packages are for development and
binary packages for build applications.  I think we can do the same for
Clojure, and yes package them in source package (without AOT) by
default, and add binary packages when needed by actual applications.

I'm not using clojure myself, but the use cases for development and
applications distributation are both important for Guix, and manage
development environments better is a big sell point.