guix-devel

Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 08:37:45 -0700

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

On lun., 18 mars 2024 at 12:38, Ian Eure <ian@retrospec.tv> wrote:

They appear to be violating free software licenses on large scale. They are in violation of SWH’s own positions.

[...]

[1]: https://arxiv.org/html/2402.19173v1
[2]: https://huggingface.co/spaces/HuggingFaceH4/starchat2-playground
[3]: https://huggingface.co/datasets/bigcode/the-stack-v2
[4]: https://github.com/bigcode-project/opt-out-v2/issues

Please note that Software Heritage folks are not co-author of all that; or I misread. Do not take me wrong, this is not an attempt to escape
but a query for waiting the feedback of SWH.

Shit rolls downhill. It’s the least surprising thing in the world to find that an "AI" company is violating licenses, because the entire technology is based on infringement at a massive scale. SWH’s partnership with, and promotion of, both the company and its license-violating model, in violation of their *own stated principles*, raises very legitimate questions.

There are multpile overlapping concerns here; personal, organizational, legal, ethical, and technical.

From a personal, legal standpoint, HuggingFace is almost certainly
in violation of my code’s licenses. I will, therefore, work to remove my code from their models. From a personal, ethical standpoint, I believe that SWH has proven themselves untrustworthy by enabling *and promoting* this infringement in violation of their own stated policies, and will work to remove my code from their archive. Personally, I cannot extend them the benefit of the doubt on this. They blew it.

From an organizational ethical standpoint, Guix is IMO on the
right track by waiting on SWH (and perhaps pressuring them to fix things). From an organizational, technical perspective, I would like to see concrete measures to support my (and hundreds of others’) personal, ethical desires to exclude software from SWH, and by extension, HuggingFace’s models.

As Ludo said, SWH folks are, by the way, also long time Free Software
activists.

In my view, this is not to their credit. I’d expect people familiar with Free Software to be *more* sensitive to licensing concerns, thus less likely to partner with a company likely to violate them.

PS: Thanks for the detailed explanations. I will provide my reading
later, after some concerns will be separated, eventually.

You’re very welcome.

Thanks,

 — Ian