guix-devel

Re: Fix grammar and markup (was Re: Feedback of the GNU Guix manual)

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Fix grammar and markup (was Re: Feedback of the GNU Guix manual)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:43:23 +0200

Hi Matt.  When triple checking, I read in “info "(texinfo)@pxref"”:

   In past versions of Texinfo, it was not allowed to write punctuation
after a '@pxref', so it could be used _only_ before a right parenthesis.
This is no longer the case.  The effect of '@pxref{NODE-NAME}' is
similar to that of 'see @ref{NODE-NAME}'.  However, in many circumstance
the latter is preferrable, as this makes it clear in the Info output
that the word "see" should be present.

Because of this last sentence, my tendency would now be to use @pxref
only for parentheses.  (Texinfo is really confusing.)  Should I just cut
these changes:

(Linux Services): Use @pxref to start phrase.
(Configuring the Shell): Use @pxref to start phrase.

or is there more that should go in this patch?

Matt <matt@excalamus.com> writes:
>  ---- On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:58:50 +0200  pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)  wrote
> ---
>  > I believe the Emacs errors are historical; looking at Emacs 29.3 as
>  > packaged in Guix, Emacs-Info displays xref properly as See.  Display
>  > errors had existed, but in the past only.
>
> I reported it to emacs-devel (it's addressed now) and the issue isn't
> technically @xrefs; it's the compilation of @xref and @ref, '*Note'
> and '*note' respectively.  Emacs looks at the context around these and
> renders them as 'See' or 'see' according to what's nearby.  […]

Ohh thank you and them for the fix.

Regards,
Florian